11-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #20
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRace View Post
I would add those names to the list with Alec Baldwin as one of the best. Tom Hanks probably would be on top or close to the top. Most people are somehow impressed with over-wrought dramatic acting and equate that as "talent".

Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't quite have the range of Alec Baldwin (Have you seen Glengarry Glen Ross?). Other than My Left Foot, there's not much I want to see. He seems to be doing artsy movies over and over again. I would put DDL in the same category as DiCaprio who seem to be stuck playing the same type of character without much variations. Again, Denzel Washington is a good actor but does not have the same range as Alec Baldwin. It's very difficult to play both dramatic roles and comedic roles. Of those name you mentioned, only Alec Baldwin and Tom Hanks can do that effortlessly.

The problem with Alec Baldwin is he has a bad boy image and difficult to work with so he usually does not have the same opportunities as others more politically correct actors. To be honest, one of the reason I watch SNL cold open is because of Baldwin doing Trump and Kate McKinnon.
I don’t really see Baldwin as someone with great range, as I don’t really consider comedy as comparable to dramatic acting. There are many actors who never take on comedic roles and I wouldn’t consider Baldwin a better actor just because he has been in sitcoms and SNL. I think he has spent much of his career playing the role of an asshole, often in supporting roles. Sometimes comedic, sometimes not, as in Glengarry Glen Ross. To me, I expected his career to go a lot differently after Hunt for a Red October than it actually did.
Mirko182.00