05-23-2022, 01:37 AM   #1
mcl
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 i3, 2022 iX50

Random thoughts after almost two months with my iX

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Reserved in November (Monroney sticker attached for reference), picked up on April 7th, dealer said it was the second one they'd sold at that point. Have driven two long trips, one ~200 miles round trip and the other ~350 miles round trip. Other than that, a few trips a week to the office and back (very short drive, ~2 miles round trip). Some initial thoughts about the car:
  1. Storage space is not great, but functional and decent. Was able to pack for a weeklong camping-type trip for a family of four (bringing a bunch of our own food, wine, liquor, and a week's worth of clothes). Filled up the entire car and had a couple small things under the kids' feet in the backseat, but very doable, and not bad considering the amount of stuff you have to pack for a three-year-old!
  2. Range is better than advertised. Regularly getting almost 3.5 mi/kWh using Assisted Driving set at ~75-80 MPH.
  3. Voice assistant is very hit or miss. Sometimes natural language works great and she understand what I'm saying first try, other times can try four or five times and she still can't take me to the right menu setting. Also some frustrating moments even when she does understand me: asked her to turn on my seat heater and she told me my seat heater was already set to level zero ... which, apparently, is off.
  4. Annoying that iDrive8 does not allow the passenger to operate portions of the controls when the car is in motion (e.x. typing a nav location). Seems like if the car detects there is a passenger seated, it should override those driver safety lockouts and assume it's the passenger operating the system.
  5. Assisted Driving works better than Autopilot on my in-laws Model 3. Fewer "failures", disengagements, or unexpected surprises (e.x. it thinks it knows what it's doing but it's actually driving me onto the freeway shoulder).
  6. I suggest tinting the front windows right away. Huge difference IMO with the car's looks when the front windows actually match the factory-tinted back windows.
  7. I very much dislike the auto hold functionality (and by this I mean the one that's operated by the AUTO.H button. It's also, in my mind, unintuitive as when AUTO.H is turned off, the car still has the traditional hill hold, which is not what I would have expected. AUTO.H just seems enable parking brake-like engagement whenever the car is stopped, which can lead to jarring starts, especially at low maneuvering speeds.
  8. Rear wheel steering is fantastic, the car's turning radius surprises everyone who drives it!
  9. Small annoyances at features that seem to be missing. The manual suggests there should be a small toolkit in the trunk, but there is not. Perhaps this is only available in non-US cars, but my M3 used to have one and it was very handy. Also, the feature where your car can roll down its windows when you get to a specific GPS location seems to be missing.
  10. Another things that's probably just annoying to me is that I can't create a local driver profile, I'm forced into the BMW ID system.
  11. The air vents for the backseat are located on the floor of the car and I'm worried about kids dropping toys/food/etc. down into it on accident.
  12. I really miss buttons for climate control. Although it technically is just one menu away on iDrive, it's still annoying. Plus, I got vented seats, which means that I can't fit all the options for driver and passenger into view at once and have to scroll. Grr.
  13. Digital Keys (Apple CarKey in our case) works flawlessly. Setup, however, was a PITA. It requires two keys at once, internet connectivity for the car, and Apple iMessage. Again, maybe not a problem for most people, but for my particular situation, it took almost an hour of futzing around before I got it done for me and my wife.

I'm sure there's more I haven't thought of, but this is a long post as it is. Happy to answer questions y'all have.
Attached Images

cpd127.00
Helius16.50
Paladin15556.00
grueber479.00
slampert162.00
gp_solo2190.50
B530e283.50
THEROK1267.50
ppointer743.00
2srsman68.00
BigHunk269.50