Quote:
Originally Posted by e90335e36m3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
Can Tesla go back and add LiDAR and Radar? Sure but that change means Elon sold everyone that bought FSD today a bag of crap. Former engineers and the majority of the safety community agrees with me. Tesla is the only company trying to do cameras only.
$10k for L2 is quite expensive.
It will never be full hands off, no matter what Elon promises. They are pushing marketing hype but the ADAS in new BMW with the latest MobilEye tech is better than Tesla. It offers redundancy to the cameras with other sensors.

FSD in Tesla will never move beyond L2.

This article is a bit old but it is still applicable because Tesla is still camera only with no redundancy in cameras and Elon still claims he can get to L5 ADAS.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jamesmo...-2-autonomous/
Never say never. History has proven absolutes like this wrong so many times, it's not worth making them. Brilliant people tend to find a way.
Beyond L2 you are allowed to remove your hands from the wheel.

To support that function, you must provide graceful fail. If you do not have a secondary sensor you cannot positively locate in the lane if the primary sensor fails. Teslas are blind on sensor failure. For L3 and above you cannot be blind on a single point of failure.

That is the problem with Tesla ADAS; a single camera failure immediately renders some function unusable without graceful failure.

L3 requires redundancy that Tesla only has on their processor clusters. Elon had engineering remove all secondary sensors several years ago.

This is why Cruise, BMW, Mercedes and Ford can all offer hands free driving of some sort and Tesla cannot.

Also with a camera only system; fog, rain and other conditions can render the systems non functional.
I'm not saying it's currently or near term feasible, I'm saying that it may and likely will be feasible in the future, so using absolutes about its impossibility is not really prudent because they are proven wrong so often. I'm not one of these brilliant people but I work with aerospace and defence engineers and the stuff they create really boggles the mind. I'm put a wager 1000 to 1 that fully autonomous driving vehicles will be a reality, and what's going to slow them down will regulatory rather than technological in nature.
Appreciate 0