12-28-2020, 08:30 PM   #81
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
Yes, I did say that the 900 or so mile trip alleviated my concerns about road trips in a Tesla. How is it possible for my concerns on that specific topic to be alleviated you ask? Well I'm not sure how to answer that without sounding like an ass I guess. But here I go.....

I'll take my last road trip as an example. Recently flew to Florida in order to pick up my E93 335i and drive it back home. The trip was a little over 1k miles from Orlando area back to Indiana. We stopped about 4 times to refill the tank. We stopped twice to sit down and eat and another couple of times for restroom breaks. When I do the rough math I'd guess we spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 2.5 hrs stopped, rough guess. With our average speed being somewhere in the neighborhood of "highly illegal" I'm guessing that the same trip in a Tesla would've required the same 4 times to "refuel". I believe the total time stopped in a Tesla would've been about the same 2.5 hours.....possibly 3hrs. In the grand scheme of things the additional 30 min overall means nothing to me, especially when combined with the fact it could've been FREE to charge.

When I do end up grabbing a Tesla there will be a wall charger in my garage. I don't think it would see a supercharger unless I'm road tripping, which is very rare these days. If I didn't have a garage it wouldn't make sense for me. If I rented and needed permission to install a wall charger it might not make sense for me. I own my home, have a 3 car garage with 2 bays that are 2 deep, and my garage is heated. No concerns about the cold draining my batteries....if that's even a "thing" at this point. In my case, when I do the math, a Tesla would've been cheaper then my 2016 Genesis AWD sedan was to own and operate...overall.

When it's Tesla time my E93 isn't going anywhere, it's paid for. My Lexus isn't going anywhere, it's paid for too. I enjoy both cars. Tesla's make sense.....for me. Tesla's are fun to pilot.....to me. Owning and operating a Tesla seems to be more economical at the end of the day....for me. I'm not trying to change minds here, only explaining how MY mind was changed. Some folks will never buy a Tesla, and that's cool. I thought the same.....until I drove one.
I think the total amount of time for stops is only a small part of the issue.

I think reality -
"While we used to just get in the car and drive, eating when and where we wanted or not at all, I have planned this trip out for where and when we will stop to eat/recharge. We will stop at the next large city, we will eat lunch for 45 minutes and this lunch will happen at some place within walking distance of the charger. Being hungry or being close to something you want to eat is irrelevant. If you decide you want to eat an hour after we refuel or anywhere we need to drive to then the recharge will consist of us sitting in the staring into space. No point in grabbing fast food and hitting the road or skipping lunch. We need to leave on the trip at a time to put us close to this recharging/eating in 250 miles. No point in leaving at 6 A.M. unless you want to have lunch at 10 A.M. Unlike the gas station there is an excellent chance it won't be right at the exit (we don't count this as stopped time as we are still driving, even if not on route) and there is only one in the next city that is even close to our route. "

It looks like a good local car, horrible road trip car.