02-17-2015, 04:19 PM   #65
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasH View Post
Clarkson ruined it all at the end though, with a very negative summing up. Primarily in heavily criticising the fuel consumption of 31mpg on his test, as the most serious and biggest flaw with the i8.

Rather unfair, as he should also have said that a ICE car with similar performance driven as hard would have given perhaps 50-75% of that MPG.

Otherwise his other comments were fair enough though.
Had those thoughts too, but the truth is, I'd be more than satisfied with 31 mpg from combined city/suburban and highway driving. And after all, what other swoopy cars get mpg that's even close to that?

I am a bit disappointed that BMW have the temerity to suggest one might get 100+ mpg with the i8. I am because with both my non-hybrid BMWs I pretty well get what the EPA/BMW estimate is for the car:
  • City/suburban driving -- I get exactly what is estimated
  • Highway driving -- I get about a mile or two more per gallon than the estimate
Now could I possibly best the city estimate? Could I eke out another mpg on the highway? In both situations, I suspect I could, but I don't want to drive so timidly (?) to make that happen.

The thing that resonated most with me is the prospect that the way I'd drive an i8 might have me going to the gas station considerably more often than I do now. I don't have an i8, so I don't know, but the possibility that I could have to doesn't sit well with me for the i8 isn't a car I'd necessarily use to tool around town with. It's the sort of car I'd really want to get in a take a long road trip. Thirty-one mpg or not, having to stop twice as often as I do now (my 3er and 5er both get ~29-31 mpg on the highway) would annoy me. For the occasional trip to visit a local friend or do other "event" travel around my home town, it'd be fine.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0