06-13-2017, 11:23 AM   #4
GoHokiesGo
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dliner View Post
only 4k laptop worth getting lol. that 940 gpu will be your downfall with 4k.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for the link to a $3k laptop, haha! Outside of photo editing I mainly just surf the web or stream movies on my computer, so it doesn't need to be capable of intense gaming or anything like that. Good to know that the 940 is going to struggle with 4k content, which will probably come into play more over the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoK View Post
I think if you're into photo editing, its much more important what type of screen you get (so what kind of panel tech) instead of the resolution. Especially on a 15" screen.
So focus on panel tech (you know, TN, MVA (with its countless subtypes), PVA (again with all kinds of subtypes) and all the IPS variants.....)
That will give far more insight in colour representation, viewing angle etc. (and also decide how much glare the screen may have)
I dont know if OLED has already reached 15" and 17" laptops.

Panel resolution is probably the least important factor unless you get something really low on a large screen.
That's a good point to consider too- I've liked the IPS display on my current laptop, and while not calibrated, it's been close enough color & gamut for my purposes with the prints I've hung in my house. We're starting to print more and more now that we've settled down in a house, and we're finding permanent spots for our favorite shots.

I had previously convinced myself that I needed 4k as one of the primary features in the new laptop, but then I started to think it might not be so important when using a 14-16" screen to have that much resolution. I might be stepping back and starting to think Option 3 is better- save the money a bit on the laptop screen, and invest in a proper monitor to edit when I actually have a group to cull through.

JP Photography - Travel/Landscape/Automotive Photography
Appreciate 0