View Single Post
      12-20-2020, 10:45 PM   #105
hubbahubba
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
About 30 years ago, in my previous career as a truck driver delivering lumber, I pulled onto a site of one of our high-end home builder customers. They were building a pretty unique and ambitious house. I watched the lead carpenter, using just a framing square and a tape measure and a carpenter's pencil, call out the cuts for the rafters of the roof of an elliptical turret. The sawyer on the ground was making the cuts and pitching the rafters up to the guys on the scaffold who then nailed everything in place. It was like watching Yo-Yo Ma leading a string quartet. A few years later I watched him lay out the top and bottom plates for a huge, snake-y, curving exterior wall, using multiple anchor points deep in the interior of the house.

We're still friends to this day. He taught me how to build a masonry shower pan for a walk-in shower I was doing on my house back in about '05. We have coffee most Saturday mornings. He's an incredible and versatile talent and an inspiration. He's become a model or ideal of sorts, as an example of the qualities I look for in the non-traditional and career-switching candidates who are a primary focus of my recruitment process. I even have a criteria called "the Nick factor." Thank you, Nick.
Stop it, yer making me hot...
Appreciate 1