05-06-2021, 02:52 PM   #190
ntg44
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 4.2 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macpsi View Post
I never understood why people were upset about the supra not being the "3JZ" and sourcing a BMW engine. After all, the 2J was inspired from the 1J which was developed by Yamaha. So theoretically none of the Supra engines were really "created" by Toyota unless we're talking pre 90s.
I think it's more so that it was under Toyota's control, like the LFA engine, rather than licensing it from another manufacturer like BMW.

Personally, I love the B58, and I wouldn't have cared that it's in the new Supra if the rest of the parts bin wasn't also taken from BMW and the car didn't manifest in its current form. I think they tried to blend FT1 with MKIV and the end result looks weird to me. I would have greatly preferred a 2+2 without the beak nose and more MKIV cues. A 240i would have been a more suitable platform to build off of in my opinion. I may have even bought one if that was the case .

I appreciate how light the Supra is though. Want to be fair, but it's not for me. I think the 400z is a more honest effort from a Japanese company, even if it has old bones.
supra932480.00