View Single Post
      04-25-2022, 09:59 PM   #1
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

C5 Z06 or ND2 Miata RF?

So I'm at the point of buying a fun car. My budget is up to $35k. I'm torn between a 2003/2004 Z06 or an ND2 Miata RF Club or a GT with the GT-S package. Both are stellar bangs for the buck. The Z06 is more raw and is becoming more of a collectors type car. I see their values increasing as more and more people realize just how damn good the car is. The Z06 would be as fast as my M235 which I'm also keeping. The Miata on the other hand is more balanced and something that you can have a blast with at slower speeds. I've considered getting back into autox and I'd love to get my 17 y/o son involved in it. The Z06 is a good autox car too but much harder to place and something that can overpower the tires if you're not good with the throttle.

With the Z06, I'd replace the seats, steering wheel, head unit, shifter, lower it on the stock bolts, tires, and do some mild exterior comestic mods. The RF would be wheels, tires, springs, sway bars, and some minor mild exterior comestic mods.

I'm certain both cars would be a blast to drive. I know that Miatas are generally the answer as I spend a lot of time helping work on my two buddies FM turbo NB Miatas.

The Z06 and Miata are easy to work on and are reliable. The main issue with the Z06 is that GM has discontinued many parts and it's getting worse. As a guy that grew up in late 1980s and 1990s car culture, the C5 Z06 does capture a bit more of my heart, but sourcing parts does leave a sour taste in my mouth. The Z06 has more classic value and street presence. The Miata is the smarter choice and something that would be easier and cheaper to autox.

Thoughts from those with experience with either car? I have no intentions doing track days or competitive driving with either car so I'm not worried about cooling or brake upgrades.