LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
-Digital key 1.0 was available on android phones (and i believe it still is) but no other manufacturers chose to integrate other than BMW. Apple chose to not implement the 1.0 standard.
-Digital key 2.0 was an upgrade over 1.0 and it appears that only apple actually integrated 2.0 into their phones. BMW made 2.0 available for all 2021 vehicles with the full idrive 7(x3 comes to mind as excluded). 2.0 still requires the phone be physically placed "on" the car either the handle or charging pad
-Digital key 3.0 is the true "holy grail" where the phone will function just like the key fob and can be kept in pocket/purse. Obviously bmw is planning to integrate 3.0 going forward and it is likely most OEMs and phone manufactures were waiting for this standard as it is the most user friendly and familiar.

Iphones 11pro+ will be compatible with 3.0 as they have correct chipset for 3.0, the real question is will existing 2021 BMWs (and which 2022s) be compatible with 3.0.

lots of good info on this topic here: https://carconnectivity.org/
Yeah, I read the bulk of that last year, but didn't read the white papers themselves to see what the underlying difference was between 1.0 and 2.0 that prevented BMW from opening it up to older cars (of if they limited it just to be limiting it). My gut is since they added it to all MY2021 cars with iDrive 7 "Full" is that it was a software only tweak and not a hardware one.

The X3 is excluded due to it still being iDrive 7 "Lite" like the MY2020 5-Series.

Why BMW created that splinter is beyond me, but that's a derailment more than anything, except the reality being that there is no guarantee BMW will bring it to MY2021 cars or even MY2022 cars across all lines at the same time.
Appreciate 0