Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
Good point. I guess I lost the original point somewhere.

The i4 is cool. When I get more comfortable with the range and reliability, I'd drive one. I like that it's styled more traditionally than some other EV's. I'm not anti EV, I just want a taste of ICE around also. I'm a fan of both, not a fan of being exclusive to EV.
Gotcha. I believe many of us on here are the same, we aren't all 100% BEV's and a few of us from from BMW's M divisions ourselves.

Side note with the range, BMW uses an EPA 2 cycle test, which takes each cycle test results, deducts 30%, and takes a weighted average to compute the combined rating.

The tests are:
-UDDS Urban Dynamometer Driving Schedule
-HWFET Highway Fuel Economy Driving Schedule

In other words, the i4 M50 would have seen 385miles on average in their controlled test environment, but instead of continuing to go another 3 cycles to get an alternative deduction factor (and more favorable on-paper EPA #), BMW and many other german manufacters use this method and hence why BEV's such as the Taycan can see more than 30% of their EPA estimated range without even trying. I have high hopes for the i4's range once we see real-world tests by owners conducted in at 70*F temps.

The 5 cycle tests (such as the one Tesla mostly uses), has 3 low speed cycles, one mid speed cycle, and one aggressive low/aggressive high speed cycle. The 5 cycle tests favor BEV's for range because 4 out of the five is right where EV's thrive, but my understanding of this 5 cycle test is that owners rarely see EPA ranges out of their own vehicles.
Appreciate 1
NGT25700.00