View Single Post
      02-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Salty Dog
Captain
Rep
Drives: Austin Mini,MBGLK, Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl0m4n View Post
hi guys, i am finally planning on buying my long awaited sea dweller deep sea this year (126660). my first big watch purchase and i am so excited .

i have been reading various posts from different forums on the best way to buy, but since we got a watch section and some watch pros here, wanted to ask as well.

rolex site msrp: $12,900
would it be realistic to walk into an ad and be able to buy this watch for msrp or $13,000?

davidsw: $15,000 - $15,500
(no tax - ship out of state)
rave reviews many happy customers but significant mark up compared to other sources.

chrono24: $14,500 - $15,000
(no tax - ship out of state)
seems you can find from trusted verified sellers with less mark up.

i do travel often and also exploring buying overseas.

bangkok duty free: $13,500 (vat refund included)
i have to pick up at duty free counter in airport. i am worried about declaring it when i return to us and paying tax, potentially wiping out any savings. the price above is from my last visit and currency exchange in december 2019.

bangkok regular store: ???
i have not been to a regular ad in bangkok. since this is a regular store, i am pretty sure i will be able to get a vat refund of 7%. if i am able to get the watch for $13,500 - 7% vat refund = $12,555 - vat processing fee.

rolex canada site msrp: 15,300 CAD ($11,505 USD):
hey why not, its only a few hour drive from new york. if i walk into an ad, will i be able to get one at msrp or slighty above? i don't think i will have any problem bringing the watch back across border. worst case scenario, i can ship the box to my house and just wear the watch back.

europe: ???
i plan on going to spain later in the year and can advantage of 15% vat. still have same question though on walking into an ad and buying the watch for near msrp. also question of declaration when i return back to the states.
So if you want to buy in Canada, call ahead and check the price and availability. As far as wearing it across the border, you can. I suspect you'll be paying with a credit card, stuff like that get's flagged so you may end up getting caught and having to pay Duty, also be aware the sales tax HST is 13% in Canada. Happy shopping.
Appreciate 0