04-13-2014, 01:14 AM   #2
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingobimmer View Post
Hey guys I know these aren't the best watches, but I need some advice. I am looking for a decent looking tough watch. I will be using it for skiing, mountain biking, camping, etc. I've heard a lot of good things about the gshocks. Do you have any advice on which gshock i should get? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I think a G-Shock is going to be as good as a watch needs to be. Sure, there are different kinds and styles of watches and there are more luxurious watches, but probably not better watches. In 2014, it's very, very difficult to find a watch that's actually not very good at being that which a watch must need to be.

Don't let yourself be duped into equating the price of a watch with it's actually being better. You'll spend a lot of money only to have your expectations dashed if you do that. I'm not telling you not to spend a lot of money on a watch. By all means have at it if you want to. I'm telling you not to expect the watch to be better just because it cost a lot of money. Spending more money doesn't buy you better timekeeping or greater longevity or all that much of anything else that tangibly improves a watch in ways that'll matter in one person's lifetime.

From a watch guy's standpoint, there's not much reason I know of to prefer one G-Shock over the other for skiing purposes. That isn't to say there are no such reasons, but that I haven't ever thought about watches and skiing. I wear a Sub when I go skiing, so you can tell that a purpose built ski watch isn't something I've focused one. Sorry.

Were I choosing any Casio specifically for skiing, I'd probably pick a Pathfinder or Protek model. These seem like good choices to me.

All the best.

Casio Protek PAG240B-2 (~$200)

Casio Pathfinder PAW2000

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0