12-26-2017, 01:47 PM   #31
qris0
Registered
Rep
Drives: i3

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kero View Post
Anyone had this problem? Hitting the trunk button just nets a click from the mechanism but the rear glass doesn't open? Is there a way to this manually? My work bag is in there...
I had this problem with an i3, which has no obvious internal or external manual release mechanism. It was caused by a large holdall in the boot, one handle of which had become jammed in the hatch door catch mechanism (seems like a design fault), so it could not close completely.

The hatch release button made the same described "click" noise and nothing appeared to happen. However it wasn't completely shut, so pulling up hard on the door itself (which I would never normally do) actually opened it. This after having tried everything I could think of to get the handle out of the catch mechanism (it was very firmly wedged in there), jumping 180 spinning landing slam dunk on the door (as suggested here), thorough search for internal and external manual release mechanisms.

Of course there could be other causes, but one is simply that the door thinks that it's not closed, so it doesn't need to release. In which case, why make a click at all? And why no warning message inside the vehicle? And why no manual release?

If this happens to you, have a go at pulling the door up manually, as hard as you dare!
Appreciate 0