View Single Post
      01-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #32
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCobra94 View Post
I've wondered about that too...not sure if someone could criminally be held liable for vehicle "mods," but what about in civil suits? I mean, if someone in a lifted truck, that has ~5% tint on the windshield, and shitty re-based HID bulbs shoved into a halogen housing runs into a car/person, there's gotta be evidence pointing towards negligence due to illegally/knowingly modifying ones vehicle outside the scope of what's allowable, no? The above situation would be far from "an accident" IMO.
To your point I live in PA and PA law clearly states you can not add or delete any thing on the car if it did not come from the factory. If someone can prove the accident happen due to a modification you could be come liable for the accident. It is kind of like the warranty law, if the mod did not cause the warranty failure they have to fix but if it did then they do not have to fix.

I have 53 Ford Pickup and when I was in high school you can imagine I got pulled over for just being a kid driving a flashy vehicle, and a few time I had police try to give me a ticket for not wearing a seat belt. Had to got to court once and pulled out the PA law which said I was not require to have seatbelt since the vehicle never came equipped with them. Ticket tossed and officer pissed.
Appreciate 1