02-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #128
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Medium reps, medium weight, never go to failure. Work out 90-120 minutes everyday for over 20 years now, never sore. It's the reps and volume, every day (farmers' strength). Heavy weights stroke egos and wreck bodies. Nobody will ever convince me that you go to failure on every workout and take days off, and I think the crossfit guys are completely out of their minds.

What are gloves btw lol.
I agree to a point (see below).....but disagree about heavy weights wrecking bodies. If you have a program that you follow that progressively allows you to add weight to the bar over a period of time, you will build up to some decent amount of weight.

In my mind, heavy weight with bad exercise form and not training the assisting muscles is what causes injuries. What is considered heavy for one guy may be considered light for someone else.

I've been training 20+ years now as well. In my prime I have squatted and deadlifted 5 plates + change, benched 4 plates, and I have never had an injury. Plus I'm probably one of the best looking 45 years old you might see if carrying any appreciable muscle is your "thing"!

But seriously, as long as you are happy with your approach...more power to you. I personally like to test my limits and would put my functional strength against anyone in a contest.

I will admit as I have gotten older, I have cut back the weight some and increased the reps, but my program is still centered around progression...this time with volume instead of amount of weight.

For example...this morning my last set of Bench was 295 X 10. But in a few weeks I will be back in the 3-5 rep range, and continue doing what I have been doing for the last 10+ years that actually made a change in my body's appearance.

It isn't the 405lb single I did a few years ago, but using a rep calculator puts my 1RM theoretically at 393 lbs.

I agree about Crossfit. Most of these people doing this type of training never got a proper introduction to training with weights and learning how to set their body up to properly work out. To me that's an injury waiting to happen.