Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4CP SO

Garage List
2014 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by csu87 View Post
funny you mention the Reddit Keto Faq... Maybe you should read it.

Not even 1/10th of the way down the page "keeping protein intake moderate, 0.69 to 1.2 grams per pound lean body mass. (1.5 to 2.64 grams per kg lean body mass.) - Note that going over 0.8 grams is only suggested for people doing heavy lifting and endurance training." (I said .6 to 1.2g/lb when you told me I was making things up...)

and your math is off as well. It is widely accepted that there are approximately 4 calories per gram of protein. Someone eating 500 grams of protein a day is getting a minimum of 2k calories from just protein. Phil Heaths typical daily consumption = "One day’s total consumption: 9394 calories, 910 g protein, 881 g carbs, 239 g" or 3640 calories from protein = 39%. http://workouttrends.com/mr-olympia-...t-routine-diet

average lean body mass of in shape Adult Male in the US is ~160lbs, or 110.4g of protein on the low end of this recommendation and 192g on the high end. Take a typical caloric intake of 2500 and the 4 calories per gram of protein formula, and you are looking at 18% on the low end, and 31% on the high end of just that one recommendation.
Yes, I messed the math a bit (used 3kcal/g), but it's a moot point. 375g or 500g protein a day is still a lot more than any normal person needs, even those building muscle (pushing 3000kcal/day). I apologise for the mistake.

You made things up, because there is no such thing as protein intake recommendation for keto, apart from "don't eat too much of it, so it doesn't take you out of ketosis through gluconeogenesis". Keto simply doesn't have protein requirements, but it's a VERY high fat, VERY low carb diet, which usually pushes protein intake into 15-20% range.

I don't know where you got 160lbs lean mass from. You realise that's your body mass minus fat? Your average in shape adult male in US would have to be 7ft tall. It's going to be more like 120lbs, which is 13-23% of calories from protein on 2500 RDI based on reddit FAQ. This will vary from person to person, but it's in line with 15-20% range, which is a common guideline. This time you got your math wrong.

Bottom line, keto is anything but a high protein diet. The reason you couldn't find it is, because keto is not about protein, and there is no such recommendation. Implying that it is and will damage your kidneys is pure fabrication.

Last edited by antych; 09-27-2016 at 05:09 AM..
Appreciate 0