View Single Post
      02-24-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
F80Dreamer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I've drastically cut the amount of sugar I consume about 20 years ago. It was quite difficult at first and the cravings lasted more than a month. Once you kick the habit and stay away for a long time, you can't go back to eating sugar again. I cannot even stomach a sip of soda (I can't eat anything with Nutrasweet as it gives me a headache).
I'm sure you already know the roller-coaster of insulin your body goes through when you eat sugar. When you're getting off sugar, try substituting a piece of fruit and don't eat it on an empty stomach. This should help quite a bit.

I've read articles recently that basically point out that as we age, we just don't have the ability to burn as many calories as when we were younger (present company included). Our metabolism slows no matter what we do.
http://www.bodyandsoul.com.au/health...f6d746bc27516d
Try cutting the amount of calories you take in for an entire day. Get off the sugar. If you're having a hard time losing weight then a "once a day treat" is hurting you. I've cut the amount of calories I've taken in over the years. I can see the difference rather quickly in my mid-section.

I concentrate on eating very healthy all the time. I don't eat junk as it just makes me feel terrible (physically). I barely drink alcohol anymore too (I had NO idea how many calories are in even hard liquor).

Basically try this:
Of course, eat a balanced diet
Eat fruit instead of any refined sugar
Snack on nuts such as walnuts or almonds - very good health effects
Eat less calories - cut portions down
Drink lots of water
Make sure you get enough sleep - major problem for wait gain
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...n/faq-20058198

I am 47, 6'1" and 175lbs. I workout 4-5 days a week and cross-train all the time (play ice hockey, volleyball, weight training, off-road running).
I primarily train for Spartan races (sprint, super, beast) and run off road between 8 - 10 miles at a time (will go up to 15+ miles for longer race). Sometimes I carry a 50lb. sandbag for 30 minutes too. I also mix in burpees and other moves to help with my flexibility etc. I've never finished worse than the top 20% of finishers in any of the races I've entered. The last race I finished in the top 10%.
Thank you for the detailed response! I am 46, 6'2 and around 215...so have a long way to go. I have actually just started a more strict routine and am a week in. Cravings are starting to decrease.
Appreciate 0