View Single Post
      12-27-2019, 06:09 PM   #53
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
I did this exact thing with both of my homes which were new construction. Not only does it help in tracking down how the cabling is run, but also the mechanicals such as plumbing. And it really came in handy with my primary home when I had some renovations done. The architect needed to know how a certain area of my house was framed. I happened to have video of that section and that was all he needed to come up with the appropriate plans.
Totally agree. Did it w/ my townhouse when it was built and did it for our current house when it was built. Knowing where all the gas, plumbing (supply, drain, breather), electrical (AC & DC), HVAC ducting, etc... is sooooooo useful.

To the OP and not that it hasn't already been covered but what to do really depends on your lifestyle, preferences, and construction type. I don't mind WiFi for some device use (e.g. Ring, tablets, etc...) but for things like IP cams...I go hardwired. It's not that hard to jam WiFi so it becomes useless for security if you have WiFi-only security stuffs.

Run empty conduit and PVC in a wall(s) so you can add wiring in the future w/o having to break into drywall. I have a 2" EMT pipe running from my primary breaker box to a large distribution box in my attic. This greatly minimizes the work to pull new wire for additional AC circuits in the future. I also have a 2" PVC pipe run from the basement to the attic for low voltage (same idea as the 2" conduit). These + the pre-drywall pix will make life easier.

If running Eth wiring, go at least Cat6. Like zx10guy said, you can still run 10GbE over it for shorter runs and it should be plenty good for most home owners.

Go Cat6 for coax.

Pre-wire for security system if you think you might want one. Same for in-wall speaker wire.