07-08-2014, 12:49 PM   #286
RedlinePSI
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something else

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
At the risk of sounding argumentative, I would have thought it'd take quite a lot more justification to pony up $8K+ for a watch, of all things than it would to fork over $30 to buy a fake version thereof. I suspect that it would take little more than opportunity knocking to do just that.

Whereas the fake watch purchase seems it could easily be an impulse buy doable by just about anyone, buying an authentic XYZ pricey watch is not remotely whimsical for the overwhelming majority of folks. I'd dare say that even those of us who have on several occasions spent large sums on watches don't just decide to spend that much for a watch because an odd thought crossed our minds over dinner or in a boring meeting.

It's one thing to walk down the street and happen across a vendor selling fake "whatevers" and haggle a few bucks off the price and buy it. There's likely a sense of "fun" that some folks get from the experience alone, notwithstanding what satisfaction they take in the watch itself. It's wholly another to walk down the street and see that Piaget in the shop window and acting on one's compulsion to buy it. Not to say nobody has that as their reality, but it's just not one most folks will have, and yet the thrill of the impulse buy will be the same for the buyers of either watch. That's something that's price independent.

All the best.
Well, yes you make a good point. There is usually at least some level of justification (both to yourself, and potentially others) that goes on when spending a large amount of money on something. So I guess it happens on both ends, just for different reasons. I'd much rather have to justify spending some extra coin, which is really just being thorough and hopefully smart, than to face the fact that I'm trying to fake a more expensive product. And more importantly, WHY would I be doing that!?
Appreciate 0