View Single Post
      05-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #10
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
The problem is the amount of energy required to produce hydrogen, and the safety concerns with using it. Its incredibly explosive when under pressure. (see: Hindenburg).

In an ideal world they'll figure out how to make electrolysis more efficient, and be able to make it small enough to fit on the car itself. Then you just fill up with some water and be on your way.

sadly, the amount of energy it takes to produce hydrogen using this method is about equal to its output.

So while I think options to keep ICE around are good, I just don't think this is going to pan out, unless some major breakthrough comes to pass.
Electrolysis quite literally cannot be more efficient, it is what it is. Where you might be able to make some H2 though is when you have some kind of excess energy that would otherwise be wasted if not captured immediately. Like if you were over-producing for the electrical grid with windmills or solar for some reason. It still won't be efficient, but better than "letting it go". You won't get a lot of return for that and it'll just exist as a fringe production method in that respect. But yeah, the amount of energy to produce, then compress, and ultimately store/transport H2 is absolutely off the scales in terms of immense. It is absolutely not "free". While it exists bonded to oxygen, separating it and making it usable is a hell of a lot more energy intensive than cracking other hydrocarbons.