View Single Post
      10-05-2022, 06:24 PM   #5
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
I chose the HK system after having listened to the B&W system in the demo unit when it came to the dealership early this year. I had an HK system in my former X5M, and it was good enough, so I took a gamble and stuck with it for the iX. I'm glad I did.

I used to install car stereos, so I have an appreciation for what "good sound" should be. I also have an appreciation for the fact that a moving car will NEVER be an appropriate environment in which to enjoy truly high end audio gear.

I need a sound system to get to about 100-110 decibels without audible distortion, and the HK does it well with plenty of room to spare. For reference, I got the iX this year instead of an X5 last year specifically because one of the deleted options for the X5 was the HK system. The base audio system in the X5 line is really, really bad. Apparently if you get NO packages with your iX, you'd get that same awful stereo, but I haven't heard of these being built bone stock like that.

But the HK system in the iX is really, really good for the price ($0, assuming you're already buying the package that includes it). If the decision were between the stock X5 system and the B&W for $3400, I'd get the B&W for sure. But I think if you're asking the question this way, the HK will be way more than you need.
Appreciate 0