10-06-2022, 08:53 AM   #11
drbluedevil
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX60-2024

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
I hope you're using hearing protection if you consistently listen at 100 dB or more. . But I know what you mean and I "hear" you! Front row Led Zeppelin was around 130 dB if I recall, which no doubt explains my permanent loss in the 5k Hz range.
Hah...of course I'm not. Maybe for the occasional single song, but not for prolonged listening.

But it highlights the point: let's assume the B&W system is more accurate at both low and high sound pressure levels. At lower dBs, you run into the problem of the car's environment negating the benefit of an extremely accurate system (compared with a sound-deadened media room, in which you can appreciate the accuracy). I haven't cranked either system up to max, but I'll assume B&W can get louder AND remain more accurate at that volume, and my point is that it doesn't really matter for typical usage. I'm well past the age where doing that gets me or anyone I know excited. Maybe if I were routinely parking my car somewhere and using it to play music in an open field, it'd make sense for me!

In no way am I trying to knock the B&W...it's just that the HK is a really good system IMO. Certainly better than the garbage stock system BMW puts in most of its cars (and the very, very bone stock iXes that don't even have HK).
Appreciate 2
deutsch1003945.00
Paladin15556.00