Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
You better believe 350 vs. 300 miles is important, despite the arguments some are trying to make. My wife drives from NW Indiana to Indianapolis regularly to visit her customers. That's 155 miles each way.

She cannot replace her X7 based on this alone.

If BMW wants to sell another car, another 50 miles would make all the difference.

Our world is clearly trying to replace ICE vehicles completely. We just aren't there yet. The whole, "We aren't a 2 EV household anyway" argument is ridiculous because if the range and charging capability were there, you absolutely would be a 2 EV household. I suspect most of us would be.
It matters to her, it doesnt matter for 90+% of Americans (and I am sure similiar in the rest of the country) who drive 29.2 miles per day.

This isn't the right car for her, but to be honest a car with a 350-mile range isn't really either because that is 350 miles in very good conditions with driving conservatively.

Would you really stretch an EV on that long of a trip to make it back without charging? Probably not. Most likely she would charge somewhere when she got to her location even for a little bit before she came back. Hell, when I do 150 miles in one direction in a petrol car I just fill it up for the way back just in case.

They make these cars for the majority of buyers (29.2% average), not for the extreme one-off traveler.
A weak, short sighted argument. How many American families own just 1 car anymore?

Ask your supposed majority of people if they'd feel comfortable replacing all vehicles in their family with 300 mile range EVs. Didn't think so.

Note I said "and charging tech." That is the other side of the equation.

My wife would absolutely drive an EV on her longer road trips if they hit a minimum of 400 miles and/or had rapid charging technology with more charging stations available.

Point is, range is still a limiting factor for wide-spread adoption. 300 is just not enough. It's understandable given where we are in the tech curve, but to argue against more range is about as silly as it gets.