Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
So on one hand you make a statement about informing (..mentioning that some states don't require you to inform at all), only to turn around and state that you inform.
In our over-restricted state, one of the last things that has not been taken away from legitimate firearms owners by the anti-gun folks is the OPTION to not bring up the CCW subject unless asked by an officer. Some other states offer a similar *option* by not making it mandatory to inform unless asked. My chosen *option* is to inform (even in the 99.9% of the times when I'm NOT carrying), because I want to go home just as much as the officer does.....
I understand the right that you reference, but understand that the officer can pull you out of that vehicle at any time and pat search you; it is not required that you are suspected of a crime. Should he find that gun (...and a good cop will, especially since we pat search every area that people tend to carry weapons), you're going to find yourself at gunpoint and in the back of a patrol unit pending investigation.......

....and it'll be YOUR (...speaking generally) fault.

If you feel that the benefit(s) outweigh the risks, carry on. You might want to disclose this to your friends and acquaintances who fall into the, "I ain't disclosing shit to the cops!" camp.

edit:

I apologize if any of that came across harsh. My only intention is to help people understand what can/does happen, what cops are legally allowed to do (...a little less than we used to be able to do, but a TON more than most people realize), and to make the police contact/detention go as smoothly as possible for the pedestrian/motorist and the law enforcement official.
Appreciate 4
vreihen1615226.00
Salty Dog3574.50