View Single Post
      07-19-2021, 10:18 PM   #40
bpu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatr0n View Post
Yeah, you're right! It's not an easy set up. I just liked it because it looked very clean and minimalistic just by looking at it.
Clean and minimalistic just means spartan. Thing is, none of the functions you need in a car (climate, media, nav) are actually gone. So how are you activating them? By buttons that are now on a screen, buried in a menu, instead of something physical on the surface. It's not actually cleaner or simpler at all, just buried, hidden, and harder to activate. It's not worth the hit to functionality just for a "clean" look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Those are new shy-tech buttons with haptic feedback on the iDrive controller

Super cool tech… You'll get used to the new buttons really quick
I wouldn't glamorize this by using the "shy tech" marketing jargon, it's just a capacitive button like we've had for years. It has no physical definition to make it easy to use without looking, which was the whole point of the iDrive controller in the first place. Why would I want to "get used" to something that's functionally worse?

I wonder if that new glass iDrive knob even still tilts left and right like the current one? Tilting the knob to go back is one of my most used functions.
Appreciate 0