View Single Post
      12-23-2021, 05:51 PM   #7
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Once we see 450-500 mile range then these can be considered otherwise 200+ miles is not so good. At highway speeds of 80 MPH with music and AC on this will barely be over 200 miles. If battery is 80% charged then most likely even quite a bit less. Not quite so good. Maybe after 1-2 years from now.
Nah. ICE cars don't really have that range now unless we are talking hybrid with a large gas tank or hyper milers.

You are correct in that on the freeway the range is much less. In our current electric car I would say it is about 80% of the city range. So in this case 250-260 instead of 324. Which honestly is very acceptable. At that point you can fast charge to 75-80% range in the time it takes to eat a little something. And for 99% of drivers and use cases this is plenty.

I doubt we will see much more range designed into electric cars going forward unless it is a special long range edition or something. It's just not necessary. The technology will go into making the batteries smaller and lighter and charge faster rather than super long range. And really I don't see that happening with much significance till solid state is a reality.
Appreciate 2
LittleJoe1064.00
TXSchnee1315.00