View Single Post
      12-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #10
M2Cmtl
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Q7 & 22 4XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Nah. ICE cars don't really have that range now unless we are talking hybrid with a large gas tank or hyper milers.

You are correct in that on the freeway the range is much less. In our current electric car I would say it is about 80% of the city range. So in this case 250-260 instead of 324. Which honestly is very acceptable. At that point you can fast charge to 75-80% range in the time it takes to eat a little something. And for 99% of drivers and use cases this is plenty.

I doubt we will see much more range designed into electric cars going forward unless it is a special long range edition or something. It's just not necessary. The technology will go into making the batteries smaller and lighter and charge faster rather than super long range. And really I don't see that happening with much significance till solid state is a reality.

Well lots of family cars get 500+ miles. My wife’s new Q7 gets a full 600 miles on the highway. Repeated that a few times last summer. But it doesn’t go to 60 in 4.4!

But I agree that we don’t need more battery range than that. Just make the charging faster and more convenient. It would actually be better to have the same range on a smaller and most importantly, lighter battery pack.
Appreciate 0