jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Meaningless video IMO.

First observation, the i3 had a small jump on the M3, which is sufficient to put it ahead at the start.

Second, as so many other have said, the M3 did not have traction. More torque would not have helped without more traction...

The big question though, how come the i3 has so much better traction off the line?
The traction question would seem to be easy...it's those narrow tires and wheels everyone interested in performance hate...they slice to the pavement much better, and allow all of the traction and torque it has to be applied when conditions are less than ideal. Purpose built for good traction in lousy weather, low rolling resistance, and optimizing electric range.

As to someone else that said, 'But, it would probably make a good city car'...well, people that's exactly what it was designed for...not thrill rides in the country, or bombing up that canyon road, but getting around a city, with it's typically lower speed limits, high congestion, stop and go, lousy parking opportunities...it's a small car, designed to get around without the hit of a gas guzzler that just adds pollutants to the air when things get dicey in a city sitting at a light. We know the M drivers, if it offered it, would turn off start stop.

The I-series is designed for a specific purpose, if you don't happen to prize that, or feel it's a worthwhile implementation of it, feel free to continue to drive what you drive, but please, widen your horizons to realize not everyone thinks like you do, or has your needs or wants.

Hard to say if the trend will continue, but where the i3 is available, it's selling MUCH faster than BMW thought, so all of you nay-sayers must be missing something. The i3 is NOT designed as a general purpose vehicle...it's optimized for use in and around a city environment. If you can't see that, I'm sorry. Comparing it to general purpose, or specialized, high performance vehicles is like the proverbial apples to oranges comparison...they are quite different. There are good reasons why you might use a ball peen hammer verses a big sledge...their intended uses are quite different.
Appreciate 0