12-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #21
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumac View Post
I get the economic impact of allowing direct orders, but that's no excuse to not move away from an outdated model. Personally, I'd rather not pay for a 'service' I don't need. I'd much rather see dealerships become service and support places. There is value there. Considering the information freely available today, having to go in and dicker about price adds no value to me.

The current model can, and should, change IMO.
i think we are seeing a shift in the industry now with how much the internet provides and companies like TrueCar. If the dealer wants to play games such as you are describing, then you as the buyer have the best hand and thats to walk away. If ordering a car is what you want, just walk in with what you want and how much you feel its worth to you to have and if the dealer agrees, end of story. The main reason dealerships will never go away is because of used cars. That is where all the money is. New cars sell by volume and thats it. They dont care what they make off one car. Usually its the backend that makes all the profit. The F&I guy is the man upselling all those contracts and add-ons. The salesman will sell it under invoice to meet an OEM goal to make a tier while the f&i manager makes pure profit off extended warranties, finance reserve and dealership specific items that cost them very little.