View Single Post
      12-07-2018, 09:38 AM   #7
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

The i3 will not work for your needs. A Model 3 most probably will do, but you will have to create a strict charging schedule if you want to not feel range anxiety.

I do have an i3S and commute exactly 44 miles a day, and that works for me if I charge every day. Don't like to go two days straight without charging. Here and then I travel exactly 98 miles in a one way trip, and that is straight to the charger if I want to make it back home later that day.

Notice that I emphasize "exactly". This is no joke. Your travel situation exceeds my commute twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Hello i3 forum members. I wanted to get your input on the suitability for the i3 as a longer distance commuter. This question will be long and have multiple parts, so bear with me (or click back now, lol).

The situation: I live North of Houston and commute downtown every day. My minimum daily commute is 85 miles. Many days it's 95 and if I go to visit projects, can be as much as 115. Yesterday I visited multiple sites and did 210 but that is rare, and if that happens I can take the wife's car. My current daily driver is a 2017 GTI. It's a lease, and it goes back in a year, or less if I trade it (not likely as I've run the numbers and shopped trade in values and I'd lose more now than pre-paying for the over mileage I'm going to do).

Things I like about the GTI - it's nimble and zippy in the crap-ass Houston traffic. It's sporty and engaging. It's relatively fuel efficient, getting just under 30 MPG which is decent considering my commute is either stop / go or cruising around 80 MPH.

Things I don't like about the GTI...the sporty ride and general NVH makes you tired at the end of the day. The DSG trans is good but not as good in traffic as an automatic or traditional EV. The interior is geared toward sportiness not comfort, although being based on a Golf it's not all that sporty compared to say my 911.

I've always been a fan of EV's and did a weekend test drive of an i3 about 3 years ago. I was worried about the range. Now that it has a bigger battery, I think the range is where I could use it most days, although it's on the edge and some days I'd be running the REX.

I know this is counter to what the i3 is for, it's mainly a city car. Am I better off getting, say, a Model 3? I'm no Tesla fanboy and while I do like driving the Model 3, the Tesla experience leaves me a little wary, especially when it comes to repairs and just goofy stuff. I spoke to an owner in CA who's had 5 (currently has a Model 3 and a Model X, and has also had 3 Model S's) who said that they are a total mixed bag, and that the stupidest stuff breaks. I'm not sure I'm up for being a beta tester for 5 or more years.

Anyone here put a bunch of miles or take longer trips in the i3? I know the performance is lower when the REX kicks in, how is it on the newer car? Can I code the REX to come on while I'm tootling around in town so that when I need more battery on the highway I've got it?

How is the ACC in traffic?

Thanks for opinions and insights all.
Appreciate 0