View Single Post
      12-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I wanted to get your input on the suitability for the i3 as a longer distance commuter. [...] My minimum daily commute is 85 miles. Many days it's 95 and if I go to visit projects, can be as much as 115. Yesterday I visited multiple sites and did 210 but that is rare
I'm sorry, but i3 will be a poor choice for your needs. For reference, I'm on my second i3, first REX now BEV. And I used to live in TX.

For starters, i3 is a sub-par highway vehicle, especially at TX highway speeds. Super-narrow tires tram-line badly, high-profile body produces massive wind buffeting - car gets moved around by passing semi's. Just a handful at highway speeds. I did take mine on 200+ mile trips, but quickly learned not to do that.

Then there is the matter of range and electricity consumption on the highway (goes way up). Add TX AC needs in the summer, and you will be lucky to get 70 miles in BEV mode + 50 miles on REX. You will need to recharge the car mid-day.

Finally, there is the matter of total miles driven. At ~115/ work day = ~2.3K / month = 27.6K /year, you are way beyond lease mileage allowances. So you would need to buy the $50+K i3 that depreciates like a used condom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I know this is counter to what the i3 is for, it's mainly a city car. Am I better off getting, say, a Model 3? I'm no Tesla fanboy and while I do like driving the Model 3
If you want a long distance EV, get a Tesla Model 3 (starts at $46K now).
TM3 is cheaper, has longer range (260 miles), handles and accelerates better, and has an all around more practical form factor.

I am not a Tesla aficionado either, but it just makes more sense.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 12-07-2018 at 02:02 AM..
Appreciate 2
lab_rat394.50
jmg18663.00