Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
F4 is really difficult to use indoors. You'd be using flash all of the time, adjusting FEC, bouncing, and having to do more in post IMO.

I would just take the 35L, but you'd have to be able to get into peoples' faces to get tight shots, which shouldnt be a problem if you are the official photog. Large group shots would be a little tough too.

To get more background/ambient, lower the shutter speed and open up that prime. Not familiar with the 6D other than I know its full frame, but you should also be separating focus and metering buttons if possible. That + lowering your FEC a bit is a good combo with the 35L.
His Canon 6D produces and excellent file at ISO 6400; therefore, shooting indoors is not "difficult" at all. At least, it'd be no more effort than shooting the faster lenses at lower ISOs.

If he shoots primes as an "official photog" he's going to need a second body. You lose too much time switching prime lenses. Relying on a 35mm alone is like tying a hand behind your back. On a full-frame body, it's not a flattering focal length for up close shots and it's not wide enough for group shots in many venues.

These days, given the high-ISO performance of the current generation of bodies, the main reason to shoot primes is for bokeh for portraits.

Personally, I'd go with two full-frame bodies, with the 24-105mm on one and a 70-200mm on the other, with flash ready to go, as needed. (Parts of some rooms are too dark for available light shooting, no matter how fast your lens or how high your ISO. Dance floors tend to be relatively dark and you don't want to worry about too-slow shutter speed not stopping the action.