11-23-2021, 09:22 AM   #12
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msparta View Post
Active subtle sound vs zero sound on Tesla…

I hardly hear an acceleration sound, is it present to others?

Thoughts?
The sound you do hear is controlled via settings that can be turned off and most people will likely turn it off completely. They should have offered BMW engine sounds instead of paying Hans Zimmer to create the sounds that he did. I could see some diehards wanting the sound of their favorite BMW engine while driving in sports mode. I personally would find it very funny to hear the "ultimate sewing machine" sounds from my E30's engine while driving an electric car. Add a setting to separately control levels of fake exhaust sound (normal, sport mode, muffler delete, straightpipes) and it would be perfect.

Although some people may miss hearing the sound of their engine revving and exhaust, this is not meant to be a sports car. It is meant to be a quiet, comfortable cruiser. The quieter, the better. I'll take the silence over engine/exhaust sounds played though the speakers any day. I had 2 issues with my X5 that made it much more obvious how much fake sound is used and I really would like to turn it off. First issue was when the sound system completely died like a day after getting the car. No sound whatsoever could be generated... so no music, no fake engine sound, no turn signal click (yes even that is faked)... Second issue was for like a day or so, the sound was distorted coming out of the speakers. This made the fake engine noise very noticeable cause it sounded completely wrong. Sounded like Chewbacca getting angry as I pushed the pedal down.
Appreciate 0