View Single Post
      01-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #26
double_j
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB/B E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Well, 3 people I know well (family/colleagues) have had Breitlings...

1st was a Breitling quartz (don't know the model name, it's like Emergency, but without the antenna). Not worn for about 2 years, battery taken out. After 2 years, new battery installed. After about 1/2 year, the hand time starts slowing down behind the digital time (by about 30 mins/day). They get fixed for about $300. Runs OK after that.

Colleague's Breitling Colt, auto movement, doesn't keep its rated accuracy. Total service cost $600, as a bonus half of the watch's internals in a zip-loc bag, to look at before you go to bed.

Another colleague also has a Breitling, and it has been in for service due to timekeeping.

All in all, 3 serviced watches is a bit too high in my books. I was a big fan of the Navitimer before this happened, as of now, I have turned my interests to other brands.
For what it's worth, I've had my Breitling Chronomat Evo for a bit over two years now and it runs absolutely fine. No service issues for me (and no obvious issues pop out on various watch forums).

Since most authorized dealers will give you 30% to 50% off list, there are a number of Breitling models within spitting distance of your price range. Resale is probably slightly weak when compared to the likes of Rolex or other 'high-end' watch brands, but that doesn't matter much if you don't plan on flipping the watch within the next couple of years or so.

On the plus side, the Breitling brand has a fairly deep and reputable history in avation timekeeping, etc. and they've done a decent job of keeping their pieces true to their history (although some of the 'blinged-out' models are admittedly a bit much for my tastes).

I'd shy away from the Tag. They charge a premium for the brand name that doesn't yet match their reputation (although they have been pushing the envelope with recent in-house movements, etc.).

Oris and Hamilton are rock solid. No fuss and reasonably priced. You definitely will get what you pay for (in a good way).
Appreciate 0