View Single Post
      04-21-2021, 09:42 PM   #6
apexit4
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: 335D M-Sport, X5D

Moving on, I recently learned of a fascinating concept referred to as "Driver Resolution" by McLaren's James Key. In essence it means that today's F1 cars provide so much feedback so quickly that the driver cant physically process it fast enough and has to drive on instinct. I know that instinct does play a large role in many racing series, but I think F1 is unique in how rapidly that feedback in provided and how rapidly a driver has to react.

Here's a link to a neat podcast I found last year where they touch on this subject for a few minutes, definitely worth listening to the 5 or so minutes they discuss this concept. I know this isn't an F1 tech topic per-se, but I think it's still relevant. I'll just leave you with a quote from the podcast that really stuck with me to wet your appetite: "(we're) reaching the threshold of what human beings can peddle around a racetrack". I find that fascinating because I always thought the limiting factor in speed around a track would be the car, not the driver. But it appears that with today's F1 cars, its the other way around. Aside from underlining just how talented these drivers are, I think its super cool to hear

EDIT: Not sure how to embed a video with a specific starting point, so here's the link that will take you directly to the driver resolution conversation at 26:00: https://www.youtube.com/embed/CT1u5qk0Xj4?start=1560

And here's the link to the full video if anyone is too lazy to pull it up in a separate tab Just fast forward to the 26:00 minute mark.

Appreciate 2
MKSixer34173.50
yco5724.50