09-10-2018, 11:36 AM   #888
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
You're not an F1 driver. You don't race your car on a track competitively. That analogy is entirely foolish.

Most of us by sports and sporty cars for entertainment and engagement. We don't care about lap times. We care about the sound, the experience, the enjoyment.

Auto gearboxes are fine for people who either (a) don't care about the mechanics of driving or (b) people who have given up on mechanics of driving or (c) people who drive for comfort rather than enjoyment.

I've had an Audi DSG gearbox in the past. It was good...technically good. And so so sooo boring. Can't imagine why people buy sports car with those Crappy Paddle gearboxes....my guess is modern laziness and indifference.
Dude. Chill out.

I'll repeat what I've posted several other times on this forum over the years: I was a manual-only guy until three cars ago. I even shopped for, and owned, two manual SUVs -- that's how hardcore I was about it. All the reasons anyone can give about the advantages and 'spirituality' of manuals applied to me.

Then came both personal (old soccer-injury woes in my left knee) and practical (better MPG, manual modes, quicker, easier modulation, etc.) tipping points, as well as a realization that manuals are simply dying. Now, I'm not a manual-only guy -- and oddly enough, I'm not for many of the same reasons that I was.

YMMV -- and, plainly, it does. But my central point remains salient: It's technological progress that's been accepted by most enthusiasts at this point because even they can't deny the modern auto's advantages. Otherwise performance cars of all types the world over wouldn't use them, they wouldn't sell -- and companies like Audi (which you mention in your post) wouldn't be completely eliminating them from all models -- even performance ones.

I mean, shoot: One could tune a carbuetor all sorts of ways, and the process definitely made you 'more engaged' with your car (or bike, or whatnot). Ergo: Could a carbuetor even work efficiently on a modern ECU-controlled car? I doubt it. Taken farther: Can a manual transmission even work efficiently on an EV? I doubt it.
Appreciate 0