View Single Post
      09-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #890
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Anything is better than a car thinking it knows better than me.
I never let my DCT shift for me. It operates the clutches, yes, but I tell it when to shift. That said, I get it (I drove cars with manual transmissions for years), and I support your choice.

Regarding the Supra specifically, to me it needs a manual because I think that without it, it loses too much appeal to too many people who would otherwise be the very folks it's targeted at. Whether you believe its trying to be a newer/better 370Z, a vehicle that gives you a taste of the 718 at a lower price, a true sports car alternative for the Mustang/Camaro crowd (like the NASCAR folks seem to be suggesting), or perhaps a sprinkling of each, it should rightly have a manual transmission on offer. Were you to revoke the manual option from any of those vehicles today, you'd likely have hell to contend with. The fans are still rabid in those parts, and these vehicles are some of their last bastions.

I feel like, every time this car's shortcomings are mentioned, there's sort of this awkward conversation about how "no, no, this isn't a car for buyer segment X, it's really for Y", but after awhile you've Venn diagram'd yourself around a few crumbs at the bottom of the enthusiast cookie jar. It's like the business plan is "ZOMG!!! a new Supra - just get it out the door - they'll fly off the lots!!!". Hard to get a warm fuzzy feeling about this.
Appreciate 4
NickyC17484.50
Red Bread4463.00
Viffermike1753.00
3798j11422.50