filip75
Facetious
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict3 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm in the market for a new rolex and i'm stuck between a GMT Master II and Submariner black bezel, Black dial. From the little research i've done these two watches are very similar in the way they look and thats what makes this decision just a bit harder.

I'm aware of the different functions of each watch but my questions is what made you guys choose the GMT over the Sub or vice versa?
If we are talking about the new versions, then I prefer the Sub. Sub has a brushed bracelet and can be worn daily without a care in the world (it is my daily beater - and I work in Afghanistan now). GMT, on the other hand, has a bracelet with polished links (like the Daytona), so it shows all of the desk diving scratches. Of course all of them can be polished out, but its annoying.

I used the GMT function since I travel quite frequently. It's pretty useful and 3 time zones can be tracked.

I have both of them and I will be listing the GMT for sale shortly. I just don't wear it. It has been on the winder for over 2 years without any wrist time. If I want to wear something shiny, I go for the Daytona.

If we are talking about the older models, then GMT was very similar to the Sub. Sub is more iconic and classic, while GMT has practicality for the travelling folk (plus the red GMT hand was really cool - better than the current green or blue, IMO). The mid-90's GMT was my first Rolex, and thinking about it now - it felt pretty flimsy and light on the wrist. I like the heft of the newer models. Newer links are sold vs. the previous hollow ones.