View Single Post
      08-11-2013, 04:34 AM   #25
1sckride
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2005 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blauweisser View Post
The 215/245 combo is what is fitted as original to my 125i. I thought that 215 was a bit narrow, but the upside is great turn-in and steering responsiveness. Aside from junking the RFT's, I wouldn't change the tyre and wheel size.

I suspect that the i8 is engineered to be like most BMW's - responsive and fun to drive in "normal" driving situations. A track car it won't be. Although it will look the part, it won't be a super- or hyper-car.
I don't believe the i8 was ever conceived to the a super or hyper-car, regardless of what its design suggests. It is a forward looking statement of what BMW believes a modern day sports cars should be; light, efficient, fun to drive and exceptional (albeit different) styling. I'm really surprised that many people miss the point of the i8. BMW went out on a limb to change the direction and thinking of what a modern "sports car" should be, and judging from the initial review they have succeeded in that attempt. The i8 has unique styling and packaging that can't be compared directly to anything else on the road today, even if you consider its technological similarities. I think Top Gear summed it up when the said the individual components of the car alone does not make sense, its the fact that those components come together to work so well as a whole. It really is a car for forward thinkers who are willing to let go of the old status-quo of fat tires and big V8 or V12 engines.
Appreciate 0