08-25-2020, 11:36 AM   #2501
ga9213
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
I wish my gym had weights like that, may I ask how much weight that is? Looking strong dude!
This is my home gym setup we were using while our gym was closed due to COVID. My neighbors and I were all quarantining at home with kids out of schools and daycares so we kept up our routine.

This was 305 as I recall....I'm usually finishing my set at 345 at the gym but these bumper plates are a bit limiting.

Quote:
Personally, when it comes to squats and deadlifts I think each individual needs to customize their form to what feels right, as well as using proper fundamentals of course. Foot placement, shoe type. bar placement, how far down you squat, it all depends on what feels safe for me personally. If the weight is dictating my form, I stop.

I dealt with sciatica last year which taught me to increase weight slowly and not until I'm really really ready. However, I do like to push myself of course.
Entirely agree...I was lifting 405 in deadlift a couple years back when...something...slipped in my lower back. My left hip came up as my lower back felt like broke. Took a couple weeks for my hip to return to place but it hurt like hell for 6 months. My form NEVER felt natural...was constantly microcorrecting and those little movements are likely what caused my muscles to spasm and throw my back out.

Now on deadlift I just stick at 225, won't increase and instead just work on form. It's so not worth it. So so soooo not worth it.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, do you run before your workout? I ask because you do look a little stiff during your squat. Running for 5 mins (1/2 mile) signals to the body it's time to workout, it's a very basic thing, and often overlooked, but to me it's extremely important.
Good eye...no...I don't. Since my back was thrown I found running very painful. My lower back doesn't like the shock of running any longer. I was a sprinter in college track so I have never been one to do any sort of distance running (don't have the stamina) and my running form is balls of feet, heels to ass so it's just awkward for me to even attempt jogging lol. Just doesn't feel right.
Appreciate 1