Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
And a gasoline powered car can go 500+ miles. Doesn't mean you have to use it's range but it's there when you need it.

Just boggles my mind to spend that much on a car with a handicap like that. Road-tripping is basically non existent unless you make up an excuse to enjoy a 30+ min charging time. Either way to each their own. Electric cars serve their purpose id get one but this ix is so far from what makes any logical sense to me I'd never even consider it.
The only ICE SUVs that can hit 500 miles in ideal conditions are diesels, which you Americans seem to hate anyway. Tell me, when you go on road trips, do you equip you and your family with catheters so you can drive 500 miles without stopping? That's 7 hours worth of driving on motorway speeds. Now I admit, when I was 18, I'd sometimes drive for 3 hours without stopping when it was just me in the car. Nowadays, with my wife in the car, an hour and a half is pushing it and it's not a matter of filling up the tank and having a quick pee anymore when I do stop because of the wife, kids etc. The reality is that normal people will stop for at least 15 minutes every 1 to 2 hours. With an EV like the iX, you're looking at about 30 minute stops every 1.5-2 hours. That's more than fine, especially when you're talking a 1000 mile road trip. It becomes even less of an inconvenience when you don't try to do it all in one day either.

You're talking 30 minute stops instead of 15 minute lightning pee and tank stops. Maybe 1.5 hours extra of rest time compared to an ICE vehicle for day-long road trips. The upside is you never have to waste time in the week normally stopping at petrol stations to fill up the tank for your regular commute / driving. Over the year, you'll save way more time that way.
I live in the us and drive an X5D and yes I often travel more than the range of the ix without stopping.

I can tow a trailer with people in the car and still outpace the ix so yeah it's quite impractical for me. But I get your point. I just believe if you're going to introduce a new product to market you shouldn't be making your customers make accommodations for the very product it replaces.
Appreciate 0