View Single Post
      06-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #3
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

With you on this one LongBoarder.

One of my biggest hassles with the i8 is the lack of customisation you can do in the software - in this day and age it's just an insult, right down to the limited LED colours on the dash. BMW sticking to the old approach of 'buy a newer car' if you want newer features just don't work in the world where everyone has tablets/smartphones/laptops etc... Tesla (I don't like their styling at all) get big credit here for maxxing the software updates.

Of course an ICE that revs to 8 or 9k RPM would be appreciated and I'm sure even be profitable for BMW to make such a thing as I'm sure one could easily find its way into other BMWs of the future (Mini M? or even M3?). I think BMW missed a trick here on the LCI models, battery tech is a long way off being production ready for all-electric BMWs , a high-revving 3 pot could have been the masterpiece to fill the gap for the next 10 years - power and efficiency, taking the i8 forward and most other performance BMWs with it.

Personally I love my i8 and think it is a remarkable car, very misunderstood and was a brave move by BMW. But, a high-revving ICE and software that doesn't treat me like a 3 year old and it would be close to perfect.
JasH621.00