09-11-2016, 07:08 PM   #86
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1
I'm with -c-. You gotta dig back to the pontiac Aztec for something uglier to me. Hemp dash? Really?
The funny thing is the management responsible for the Azteck historically is responsible for some of the greatest looking cars from GM, ahhhhh the stories, my boss was at GM at the time and saw the whole mess take fold, let's just say wayyyyy to many cooks in the kitchen and everyone wanted to make a contribution, turned it into a turd.

Oh well.

Do I think the i3 is the new Azteck, theirs no way, theirs tons of much worse executed cars today but even they fail to live up to the standards of the Azteck. That was just a mess.

Heck has anybody seen the Lexus F headlight!
The things a mess and looks like the car got sucker punched in the eye. Hey Nike wants their swoosh back! That is a subjective opinion of mine and All in all design is subjective and if your going to bash a car base it off its technical achievements at least that is more or less factual design elements that can be tested and hold its own. It's hard to argue the benefits of carbon fiber vs steel, a headlight design or windshield angle can be disputed till the cows come home.

I hold over 30 design patents of my own and it means nothing because since I'm a car designer myself I live in a world where everything is based of emotion, their no real right or wrong way to style a car, what is beautiful for some are hideous to others, when I'm out with the guys and their telling me to look over at some women they think is the hottest thing they have seen in recent memory I look and am like eh ok, it doesn't mean she's ugly just not my type, I hate curly hair some men love it! Doesn't mean it's wrong.

It's an argument that will never be won. Hence my argument to challenge a car based off its elements of what it's made of vs. the Looks, then you have a good argument.

But yea we're all visual creatures so at the end of they day theirs a Prius that sells well but looks like a well whatever doesn't get me going. So you can't say if BMW designed it better they would sell more !

BMW doesn't try to sell the car they don't run commercials and it's not cheap. I can't tell you how many people have no clue what the car is. And some people think it's an Asian make before seeing the badge. The marketing of the car really needs work. Tesla markets theirs cars sooooo much better.

The model 3 is being made of steel not aluminum to keep its cost down, musk has stated this, if the i3 was 10k dollars cheaper and had a range of 200+ miles we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. But at that price point I beg to wonder if it would have been made of all carbon and aluminum. All of which are premium materials. The Germans gave the people the range of what their data showed the average user commuted in an average day. They didn't seem to count on the people just wanting that ICE range that their used to, like driving with a quarter tank all the time. Not a smart move that has costed them.
With the battery tech improving they will have the 200 mile range before 2020.

But alas I still love reading everyone's opinion on how hideous the i3 is, like it means anything.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0