View Single Post
      08-13-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
vreihen16
Recovering Perfectionist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
The i3s has wider tires than my regular i3 BEV. It doesn't have the grip of a wide Hoosier racing slick in the corners, but surprised me with how far their edge was the few times that I entered a turn on the road too hot.

In terms of steering feel, it is pretty numb. The electric steering rack has ZERO slop in the steering wheel, and I find it twitchy at Interstate speeds. They initially targeted the i3 as a "city" car, and it really shines in congested areas. I am pretty sure that I could make a K-turn in a parking space.

My first test drive of my i3 was around the dealer's showroom! Someone had blocked the exit door to get it out onto the street, so I asked the salesman if I could just drive it around on the showroom floor. He thought that I was crazy for a minute, but I told him that it was 100% electric so it wasn't like it would stink up their building with exhaust fumes. The other sales guy who went on break with the key to the car blocking the exit door came back about 15 minutes later, and I got to take it for a formal test drive after that.

The best feature of the i3 line is programmable departure times. You can set a recurring schedule of up to three daily departure times, and the car will automagically pre-condition the batteries and cabin temperature so that you always plop your butt into a comfy 72 degree driver's seat. I went through last winter without even having an ice scraper in the i3.....