CTinline-six
Hoonigan
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 328i, '98 Wrangler

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennsiveguy View Post
My all-time horror story goes back to about 2015 when I sold a custom 6-string electric bass that I had made and which I loved dearly but which was too heavy for my messed-up back. I sold it to a fellow member of a bass players' forum. I decided to make UPS completely responsible for its safety, and paid for them to pack it (in its factory case) for shipment, and bought the insurance. Handed them something like $200 and left with my receipt and tracking number. It was headed for Texas, which should have taken 4 days according to them.

Of course I tracked it, out of anxiety. And sure enough, 2 days after I shipped it it stalled out and then literally disappeared off their tracking system. In a rage, I called UPS help line. They said "Well, gee whiz, I reckon we plumb done lost it. We'll have a look around and see if we can find it." Great. Just great. Luckily the buyer was really understanding - thanks Tom - while we both sweated bullets waiting for word from UPS. Almost 2 weeks later, the buyer called me and said it showed up and he was already in love with it. Turns out the label had come off and it had to be re-labeled but they never entered the new label in the tracking system. Thanks UPS, for making two nice guys wait around like a couple of chumps while you screw the pooch.
Letting them pack it was your mistake. Been there, done that. Assholes probably put one piece of tape on the label and sent it on it's way. I overpack everything now. Tape the label on myself with a shit-ton of tape so there is no way it's coming off or getting wet, and put plenty of packing so it can't get damaged unless run over by the truck.

This is probably the worst I've had:

My company was doing an infrastructure upgrade at a school. FedEx was delivering a pallet of Cisco switches to the loading dock at that location. Dude using the ramp on his truck totally botches the transport of the pallet from his truck to the ground and the boxes get damaged. Guy says "well, it wasn't packaged properly" and was about to try and blame the vendor. I go well those 4 parking lot cameras just saw your terrible pallet jack handling skills and would be happy to send the footage to FedEx. The incident was reported, FedEx denied any responsibility and tried placing the blame on our vendor. We sent the footage and suddenly had new equipment a few days later on FedEx's dime. Morons.
Appreciate 1