Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfus Aurelius View Post
I just purchased my '15 328i, so it's running whatever oil they put in last or as part of their CPO reconditioning. Now I don't believe the oil will be okay for 10K miles ( a year's driving for me), not in the long run. So I plan changes every 5K miles with whatever BMW LL-01 oil I can find at a reasonable price.

Right now WM has the Castrol 0W-40 with the certification, $27/5 quarts, but I hear Castrol is phasing out the oil with the certification. So I plan to grab one big jug (and a quart extra for topping off), hold onto it and the oil filters I've ordered from FCPEuro, and bring the stuff to my regular mechanic in August or so at 30K miles. I'll have him do a brake fluid flush and cabin filter change as well, and change my own engine air filter.

By that time the car will be out of factory warranty. Should I continue with BMW-certified oil during my year's CPO warranty, or will Mobil 1 do as well?
The standard oil change interval is fine - changing it out every 5K is an overkill. Castrol or M1 0W-40 would be fine too. Castrol ending certification with BMW most likely due to cost and their contract ended with BMW, but I'm almost certain that their formulation won't change much even without that LL-01 certification.

Have a look at my X5's M54 engine when it was opened up at about 90 some odd thousand miles for a valve gasket replacement - spanking clean! Followed BMW's oil change interval, which for me was an annual oil change or every 10K - 12K miles. The car had been using BMW's Castrol oil during it's first 4 years with the free maintenance program. It's been using mostly M1 0W40 since. The car is still running strong today after 15 years and 142K+ miles following the same annual oil change regiment! So, no need to short change a good quality synthetic oil.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17199.00