05-07-2020, 02:04 AM   #64
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerbruce View Post
My UKM5 and MBelgium friends -
Such a very tragic weekend for so many! I wasn't aware of the death and injury form F1 history; what was the outcome of the mechanic that was hit by the car at the start of the GP??
In Zolder '81 practice,Amadeo for reasons unknown went in front of Reutemans' Williams and was killed, the mechanics from all the teams protested.
On race day another mechanic,Luckett was at the back of an Arrows trying to restart it when the sister Arrows car went into it with him still there crouched down seriously injuring him after the race was erroneously started.
As far as I know Luckett continued in motor sports in different areas and last I looked him up he was working for West Surrey Racing for a short while and then for March also making regular trips to California to restore old F1 racing cars. There is no news where he is lately but I guess he would want to stay in a hot climate like California for the sake of the type of injuries he sustained back on that black day.
As far as compensation goes then if he had some type of accident insurance from his high risk pit job then I don't know how that would pay out,it's on the grainy vid that he did that of his own accord ignoring his own personal safety and all the safety rules.

Last edited by M5Rick; 05-07-2020 at 04:30 AM..
Appreciate 1