General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Lowering springs - AST vs H&R (i3s content)

Lowering springs is a popular first mod for many i3 owners.

The i3 caught me off guard when first released. Admittedly not a fan at the beginning, I quickly fell in love after an extended test drive. There were limited options for our previous MY17 i3, except H&R, so we quickly installed a set and was happy with the new height. However as many with H&R springs have already experienced, the ride is ultra-stiff, bone-jarring at times. You can run over a quarter and could tell whether it was heads or tails, it simply made the i3 no longer fun to drive. While H&R is great for other vehicles, it's not the case when it comes to the i3.

Moving forward to the i3S, we researched other lowering options (not many out there) for the i3 platform and decided to give AST a try. AST (and Moton) are well known in the motorsports world with their coilover setups on the M3/M4 platforms and have experience with the brand, and was surprised to find they support i3/i3S and immediately ordered a set.

A local i3s came in with H&Rs and he took our AST-equipped i3s on a test drive and purchased a set of ASTs on the spot. Before installing, we thought it would be a good opportunity to do a short comparison.

The H&Rs do sit a smidge lower than the ASTs, but are very similar in drop. The ride is sporty and not harsh (~10% stiffer) and retains the i3S nimbleness/handling while keeping it super fun to drive. Macht Schnell 15/12mm spacers & lugs bring the wheels flush with the wider i3s fenders.

TL;DR: AST springs provide fantastic ride, same price as H&R, missing out by not having a set on your i3.

In the meantime, enjoy the photos.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 08-12-2019 at 11:43 AM.. Reason: clarification
Appreciate 0