View Single Post
      05-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #9
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Quote:
Originally Posted by drlonline View Post
Found this very interesting article reviewing a pre-production Taycan Turbo (obviously there are no turbos, but that is the designation for the top of the line model). Performance sounds very impressive, though I still can't decide how I feel about the look of the car. Strikes me as a somewhat smaller version of the Panamera, which I'm not too crazy about. And then there is still that issue of range anxiety with a pure EV. Even that will be a thing of the past if 800V charging systems become more commonplace, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2...review-photos/
I'm on my 3rd EV (if you want to call the i8 an EV) and range anxiety is pretty much non-existent with a range of over 200 miles. (Our Volt had an EV range of about 48 miles and that was a bit more sketchy - although it would switch to ICE automatically we PREFERRED to run on electrons).

Our Model X is our daily driver (248 mi) and we simply plug it in when we get home at night and unplug it in the morning. (Like us, over 70% of EV owners charge at home vs using public chargers). I've never even SEEN a public charger. Its MUCH more convenient than an ICE as we never have to think about filling it up and most of the time I have no idea what the current price of gas is...

If you have a garage and (and your spouse/family) a second car (ICE) for long trips, then a 200+ mile EV is a pretty sweet option...

I can drive from Milwaukee to Chicago and back and never have to stop to charge. I've never had a "daily range challenge" (in 5 years) and only had to consider an ICE for long road trips (or hauling my M4 Track car and trailer).

Since we simply charge at night, I couldn't care less about the 800V charging capability. The Taycan will be replacing our Model X as our DD so its not a very high bar to improve the external styling. Now that high-end car manufacturers are finally cresting the 200 mile EV range, I'm looking forward to see what they can provide to compete with Tesla!
Appreciate 0